G is for Girls

11:46 PM Posted In , Edit This 1 Comment »
As some of you know, I am a teacher. I love my job even though it is far out of my comfort zone.
I teach at an inner-city school where I share the title of "token white girl" with only one other student. It is a year-round school that utilizes split-gender teaching in the upper elementary grades, I teach 10-12 year old girls.
I also tutor some of my girls after school. Today when they were getting ready to go home, one of my students bundled up in a white scarf, toboggan (that's what we call beanies here...), and gloves. This is the conversation between the students; Initials used to protect anonymity.

S: You look white.
N: What's that supposed to mean?
Me: Yeah, what IS that supposed to mean? Are you racist? (jokingly, of course)
S: No, I just mean cuz she wearin all white stuff.
Me: Good, I was hoping you wouldn't say things like that.
Z: (S's twin sister) Nah, Mrs. E, you black.
Me: do what???
Z: I mean, you're one of us. you black.

Sometimes these girls make me crazier than I don't know what, sometimes they make me laugh so hard I wanna pee my pants, but all the time I love em!!!

We have a program we get on in school that is like a mini-myspace. It's private and only my classroom can chat with each-other and nobody can see their profile unless they have a login from me. One of my students once posted the words, "I gotta donk" on her page...not quite sure what she meant by "donk" I asked her about it...
Here is a convo from earlier in the year;

Me: Uhem, what does that page say?
Student: 'I gotta donk'
Me: Yes, I can read that, I mean, what do you mean by that?
Student: Oh, ya know, badonkadonk, liiiiike, a bootie.
Me: Oh, I see.
Student: You could put that on your page ya know
Me: I could what?
Student: You gotta donk too, you gotta a black girl bootie.
Me: Um, am I supposed to say thanks?
Student: Well, it is a compliment for a white girl to have a black girl's bootie.
Me: Thanks, then.

Like I said, they may not always be the most appropriate, but I love those crazy ladies!!!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't really know what to comment about this post.....
but i am glad that you enjoy ur job, and i am even more glad that Andy can check up on u!! Sarah